Stage 1 equivalent training guidance
Stage learning outcome
- Provides safe and effective general anaesthesia with distant supervision for ASA 1-3 patients undergoing non-complex elective and emergency surgery within a general theatre setting
Experience and learning requirements
- Experience in elective and emergency surgery of more complex ASA 3 patients including those who are obese, frail or elderly (supervision level 2b).
- Additional on call experience in obstetrics including the management of ASA 3 parturients (supervision level 3).
- Paediatric experience and ability to anaesthetise children over five for non-complex surgery with the supervisor in theatre suite, available to guide aspects of activity through monitoring at regular intervals (supervision level 2a).
- Some experience with TIVA at supervision level 2a.
Examples of evidence
- Supervised Learning events (SLEs) across a range of surgical specialties and obstetrics including more complex ASA 3 patients, obese, frail and elderly, obstetrics and paediatrics
- Use of TIVA.