2021 Anaesthetics curriculum
The handbook has been designed to support trainer and anaesthetists in training with the everyday practical aspects of implementing the new curriculum. This guide should be used in partnership with the 2021 Curriculum Assessment Guidance.
This is the main curriculum document submitted for GMC approval.
The learning syllabus
Details of the learning outcomes, capabilities and examples of evidence for each stage and domain of learning.
The rationale for, and content of, the programme of assessment. This strategy should be read in conjunction with the main curriculum document.
Training programme updates
- Guidance for counting experience prior to entry into a CCT training programme in Anaesthetics
- Educational Development Time for Anaesthetists in Training: Guidance for Schools of Anaesthesia
- 2021 Curriculum ARCP checklists and guidance
Educational content to support learning in areas of practice
We support initiatives that provide educational material for anaesthetists in training to support learning. Anaesthetic specialist societies have produced learning resources which can be accessed via their webpages.
We are keen to work with all societies to facilitate signposting to any appropriate learning resources that you may be able to offer. If you would like your content to be included, we will need to review it to make sure it aligns with the learning outcomes of the 2021 curriculum and would request the following:
- Please can you use the curriculum document and learning outcomes as the basis for content
- Content must be appropriate to the stage of the curriculum that it supports and not introduce additional outcomes or assessments
- It may also be linked to the FRCA exam syllabus where appropriate for stages 1 and 2
- Stage 3 Special Interest Areas should reflect realistic requirements for consultant practice and must reflect what is deliverable within a training programme
- The College will provide links to the material, but it will remain the property and responsibility of the society and whilst supported by us will not carry the College logo
- Resources will need to be reviewed on a regular basis and kept up to date by societies. Any links to material that is out of date or inaccurate will have to removed.
Anyone who interacts or uses the curriculum is welcome to submit suggestions for revisions using our webform. All suggestions will be reviewed and considered by the Anaesthetic Curriculum Development and Assurance Group on a regular basis.
If you would like to contact us, you can email the Anaesthetics Curriculum and Equivalence Team on email@example.com or call on 020 7092 1550.
Please let us know what you think. If you feel the information on this page could be improved, please get in touch with us.
Last reviewed: 28 November 2022
Next review due: 27 November 2023