2021 Curriculum learning syllabus: stage 3
Structure of contents
Each of the 14 domains of learning includes the following:
- Stage learning outcome
This is the learning outcome that anaesthetists in training will need to meet in order to get the domain signed off at the end of this stage.
- Key capabilities
Anaesthetists in training will need to demonstrate attainment of all key capabilities in a domain of learning to meet the learning outcome for this stage.
- Examples of evidence
These are examples of evidence that can be used to show achievement of key capabilities.
It is not intended that they are all completed but they are examples of what can be presented as evidence. A single piece of evidence can be used for a number of different capabilities across various domains and are not necessarily exclusive to the stage of training listed.
This is not exhaustive and other evidence may be used if thought appropriate by the trainer.
- Cross links with other domains and capabilities
Supervised Learning Events or personal activities can be logged to multiple key capabilities in a variety of domains of learning, as appropriate. This section suggests which domains should be considered when recording learning opportunities.
The contents of the learning syllabus can be downloaded in the form of the HALO guides. You can download a copy of the stage 3 HALO guide here.
22 March 2021
- Key capabilities re-clustered or re-lettered for: General Anaesthesia, and; Procedural Sedation.
- Suggested supervision levels added or amended for: Perioperative Medicine and Health Promotion; General Anaesthesia; Regional Anaesthesia; Resuscitation and Transfer; Procedural Sedation, and; Pain.
- Key capability added: 'Provides safe anaesthetic care for the critically ill patient who needs to return to theatre from the intensive care unit' to General Anaesthesia.
26 May 2021
- Inclusion of link to HALO guide (above) and Practical Procedures Grid (final chapter).
- Additional stage learning outcome for: Intensive Care.
- Updated examples of evidence for: Pain (key capabilities D & E, key capability F, key capability G).
- Updated cross links with other domains and capabilities for: Regional Anaesthesia (key capability A), and; Pain (key capabilities D & E, key capability F).