The College hosts a network for all clinical leaders who manage anaesthetic departments throughout the UK.
Their title may vary but it usually encompasses those in the role of a Clinical Leader, Clinical Director, Lead Clinician or Clinical Manager.
The Clinical Leaders in Anaesthesia Network (CLAN) is a network of clinical leaders in anaesthesia, led by a national executive committee which is hosted by the Royal College of Anaesthetists (RCoA). This has been in existence since 2010 and was initially established by the RCoA with the aim of ensuring that perspectives of Clinical Leaders’ were considered when decisions and changes in anaesthesia service delivery were proposed.
CLAN Aims and Priorities:
- Promote and and encourage information sharing and good practice between clinical leaders.
- Assist the RCoA and affiliate organisations in improving quality and standards of practice by developing and providing a consistent approach to issues raised in the management of anaesthesia related services.
- Provide the clinical leaders’ perspectives to the RCOA, Association of Anaesthetists & other organisations when required.
- Organise regular national meetings involving a range of speakers and topics relevant to clinical leaders.
- Ensure adequate representation of CLAN in appropriate RCOA groups & committees.
- Support departments & individuals to embed strong and compassionate leadership.
- Maintain a national online forum and database to enable members to ask questions and share leadership experience and information.
- Publish relevant articles in the Bulletin on a regular basis.
- Maintain regional WhatsApp groups for members to interact with other leads in their region and discuss local issues.
The network is led by a national executive committee, who along with promoting, maintaining and encouraging the development of the network, assist the College, NHS employers, the wider NHS and individual doctors in improving quality and standards of practice by developing and providing a consistent approach to issues raised in the management of anaesthesia related services.
If you're a clinical director of an anaesthetic department (or hold a similar job role with management responsibilities), and would like to join the network