Refugee Buddy

The Refugee buddying system is a joint venture between the RCoA, the Association of Anaesthetists and Refuaid.

A refugee buddy will be an anaesthetist, intensivist or pain medicine specialist who will provide informal support to a refugee anaesthetist who wishes to enter UK practice within the NHS in anaesthesia. 

We are looking for individuals to support doctors who have qualified as anaesthetists outside of the UK and also those who have completed medical training outside of the UK who are interested in specialising in anaesthesia.  Individuals will have been granted leave to remain in the UK by the home office.  These individuals will be at varying stages on their journey into anaesthetic practice in the UK including:

  • Completing International English Language Testing System (IELTS) or the Occupational English Test (OET)
  • Completing the Professional and Linguistic Assessments Board test (PLAB)
  • Been granted registration and looking to start work as an anesthetist in the UK
  • Having recently gained employment as an anaesthetist in the UK.


Volunteers who would like to become a refugee buddy should:

  • Outline areas in which they have experience, and interest in providing support (to help with the matching process)
  • Confirm that they have capacity to support a refugee doctor either remotely or face to face
  • Confirm that they are happy for their contact details to be shared with the relevant buddy and are happy to be contacted and engage in the process.


  • Share knowledge and experience with a colleague who is new to the UK and navigating  working in the UK health system for the first time


  • Individuals who have qualified outside of the UK and navigated the system in order to work in anaesthesia in the UK (preferred)
  • Have experience of working with, and providing support for refugee or International Medical Graduates while working in the UK
  • Be in good standing with the College
  • Individuals who can speak a language in addition to English (preferred)


How to apply

To apply, please complete the application form found here.

In the interim, if you have any queries, please contact