Taking the written exams online - guidance
IT system and internet requirements
The minimum system requirements for remotely invigilated exams are:
- a laptop or computer running Windows 7+ or Mac OS 10.10+ only. (Mac OS Big Sur users need to upgrade to 11.3+)
- Intel Core i3 (or equivalent) and 4GB FREE RAM (you must have permissions to install software.)
- a working webcam that can be used to scan the room
- working microphone and speakers (ensure your computer speakers are switched on)
- a screen size of at least 13" and a resolution of 1024 x 768. Multiple screens are not permitted.
- You must not use a mobile phone, Tablet, Chromebook or Surface Pro
- If using a portable device, ensure it is fully charged in advance of starting the assessment and that it is connected to mains power.
A stable Internet connection and sufficient bandwidth is required. This means a good continuous internet speed - minimum 2 Mbps, with a recommended candidate internet speed of 2.4 Mbps. You will experience internet connection issues if it is lower than 2mbps.
Note: Please only use hotspot in an emergency if your network connection suddenly drops. You will need at least 1GB of data on your phone to do this for a 3 hour exam.
It is the responsibility of the candidate to ensure sufficient hardware and internet connection is in place. Candidates should check these requirements well in advance of the examination date.