Members of the perioperative team at the hospital will discuss your anaesthetic, surgery and recovery period. They will discuss any particular risks you have from both your anaesthetic and surgery and any choices you have. They will give you information to read at home. There will be a contact number to ring if you need to ask more questions.
The better prepared you are, the easier the process is likely to be.
Below are some questions that you might want to ask the perioperative team.
- What time do I need to stop eating and drinking before surgery?
- What medication should I take on the day of my surgery?
- What do I need to pack for the hospital?
- Do I need to remove nail varnish, gels or piercings?
- Can I have visitors? When are the visiting times?
- Will someone at the hospital shave me if needed before my surgery?
- When can I expect to go home?
- What help can I expect to need at home afterwards?
- How long will it be before I can shower/bathe again?
- Are there any important ‘dos’ and don’ts’ for my recovery?
- Will I have stitches or staples that need to be taken out?
- How much time will I need to arrange off work?
- Who will give me a fit/sick note for my employer?
- Will I have a check up afterwards?
- How long might it be before I can walk/swim/play golf/run again?
- When can I drive afterwards?
- How long will it be before my life is roughly back to normal?
Download a pdf copy below of
Fitter Better Sooner